History of the Spokane Rose Society

The Spokane Rose Society was founded in 1947 when the Rose Hill demonstration Garden was installed at Manito Park. In the early days the  members of the SRS planted and tended the roses, which numbered somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 plants. Over the next fifty years, members exhibited roses and conducted rose horticulture workshops throughout the Spokane area while remaining associated with Rose Hill.

Expanding to over 1,200 roses in 1978, the Rose Hill Garden became too large for the volunteer rosarians to maintain, so the City of Spokane Parks Department assumed regular care of the continually expanding gardens, now at over 1,500 roses.

Marriota As part of the Pacific Northwest District of the American Rose Society, the Spokane Rose Society has hosted District Rose Shows, which represents members from throughout Washington, Alaska, Vancouver, BC, and Montana. Every year, local members, as well as some from outside of Spokane, exhibit roses for recognition and trophies.

 

Always active and involved, the Spokane Rose Society maintains a close working relationship with Rose Hill and also also offers annual events, such as a mini rose sale and the annual rose show.  In addition, the SRS has provided an information booth at the annual Inland Northwest Gardeners Association as well as the at the Spokane County Fair. Informative meetings are held monthly for members and guests and consulting rosarians are available year-round for speaking engagements and personal questions.

Due to a generous donation from a founding member, dues are kept at a minimum. Benefits of membership include access to consulting rosarians, discounts at local merchants, discounts on mini roses, access to a lending library, and the joy of working with others who enjoy the same interest.

How to join the Spokane Rose Society